Sunday, January 06, 2013

My favorite progression of stones

I have a lot of stones, many of the same kind, and I often wonder which ones I would choose if I had to narrow it down to just a few. Which would be my best bevel setters, my fastest cutters,my finest finishers?

Well I think I know. After getting pretty frustrated with slow progress on the German Sunrise blade I took a close look at the bevel and realized that one side was not as wide as the other. So a full reset and hone was in order. Which progression would I use

Bevel Setter: My only real no brainer, the Chosera 800 with 600 grit slurry stone. This thing is amazingly fast and leaves a beautiful polished edge which more often than not shaves arm hair easily.

Bevel Refiner and 1-4 k stone
My white grey cretan that I got from Emmanuel was my first choice and really another no brainer. I love this stone and it always works. The other option would be a Belgian Blue Whetstone but I just love honing on this rock. I use the slurry stone on it dry and then add some water to make the slurry. Then I hone on it, not diluting at all til it's almost dry and finish on that. Cuts very fast and also leaves a great polish for this level.

5-8 k Stone : Getting it shave ready
A coticule is the choice but which one? I have more than a few but this vintage combo stone, which I think is a la Petite Blanche is a great cutter and finisher. Plus it has a great BBW attached . I also chose to use my Jade Marbel  coticule to make slurry as it is great for the final finish on water AND has an excellent BBW side as well.

Jnat: Polish
I thought the Jnat would be a great polisher before the  Zulu but which one? My Oozuku Asagi works like a charm on water so I picked that one. Always works too. The Escher could have been a good choice here too but I love my Oozuku :))

Finisher:

These days what else but the Zulu Grey stone? It's my choice and I think it's awesome. The Uchigumori would have been an excellent choice as well.

If I subbed out the Escher and Uchi that would be the second team :)) My second coticule choice would have to be my Vintage Deep Rock coticule , or the Les Lat , or.......

we'll see tomorrow how the Sunshine fairs.

SHAVE REPORT:

PERFECT! WHENEVER A BLADE IS GIVING ME PROBLEMS IT SEEMS THE SOLUTION 99% OF THE TIME IS TO RE SET THE BEVEL. WORKED HERE LIKE A CHARM, AS DID THE PROGRESSION OF STONES.

THE SHAVE WAS ALMOST A ONE PASSER, BUT, MOST IMPORTANTLY IT WAS SILKY SMOOTH WITH THE GLIDE OVER THE BEARD THAT I LIKE. NO TUGGING OR PULLING OR HESITATION.

SLURRY ON THE CHOSERA, THE CRETAN AND THE FIRST COTICULE, THEN JUST WATER WORK ON THE REST. NICE.:))

No comments: