Saturday, December 31, 2011

black russian touch up

had some time early so I got to work on the russian.

wanted to  improve the keenness and improve the sharpness so I went to a stone that was a fast cutter on water; the la veinette. 40 laps of x strokes and then 20 little laps on the creamy yellow slurry stone just for fun.

then onto the hard la vert stone. another 40 laps on water and tested leg hair. much sharper and crisper but a little harsh so then 25 laps on linen and 35 on leather. we shall see tomorrow am:))

then got into sharpening my Tanto. This is a cheapo version of the real thing but I love the aesthetics of it. It has stainless steel and is made in China so I knew it would be tough sharpening.

It was moderately sharp to start with so I went to the BBW on the triangle coti and raised a slurry. Still very new to knife sharpening and the requisite angles required so it was a lesson. Got decent sharpness going then overdid it( that coticule slurry dulls SO fast) then I had  a bright idea; use the Chinese 12 k stone with the  different nagura I have and see if that works.

SO I started with the soft one, did lots of half strokes( learning to hone with the left hand on the knives!) and it was getting sharper! Washed that off and went to the middle hard nagura and did the same thing- sharper still! Onto the karasu nagura and was good then jumped the shark :((
Tried to hone it on the chef knife steel but that made it worse so:

My NEW Nakayama Honyhama stone just came in so I decided to play with that on water and it was AMAZING! Lots of fine grit released and with X strokes it just kept getting sharper and keener! Four of five laps and put it away.

Nice. Now onto my Kbar Kukri. THIS will be a bitch to hone :)) but it will be fun playing.

EDIT

Finished the KBar in short order. I used the Chinese 12 k with a progressive slurry starting with my ichimoguri soft nagura and lots of elliptical strokes to get all these curved edges. No dilute but as I felt keeness improving I switched to my mid hardness ichimoguri stone slurry and the same X elliptical strokes. it was a light slurry and I diluted a few times with spray bottle.

Paid close attention to 'moving around the slurry' in a wave formation.Keenness still improving so I switched to the kerasu stone and very light slurry which I diluted each ten reps.Ended up very sharp and keen so I put it away.

I need to stop BEFORE I over hone lol. this was a good night for honing.Been meaning to put an edge on this thing ( and trying to imagine HOW I could) for a long time,

No comments: