Monday, June 18, 2012

'65 Russian 5/8 touch up

Even though I am very proud I got this blade to shave ready the other day , which was not a given, I didn't think the edge was even close to where I like. Sharp but not super smooth, so I dulled the blade on glass and did a re do.

Now that the bevel is set I can play with the edge

Les lateneuse with light slurry
circles. started turning gray immediately.FAST  cutter! did three or four laps, tested( good) and refreshed slurry and did more circles. The blade definitely likes this stone( as do I:))

then onto the Chinese 12 k on Tam O'Shanter slurry. Circles again and it was advancing the edge for a bit but then I thought I better go to just water and I was right .Got keener much faster
Just 20 laps of X strokes. Now onto the Oozuku on water.
20 laps of X strokes and the blade likes this stone as well :))Finish again on the Uchigumori on water for 50 laps X strokes . Starting to pop hairs like it should.
50 laps on leather and that's it. Test shave tomorrow.

SHAVE REPORT;


NOT BAD, NOT PERFECT BUT NOT BAD PERHAPS AN 8.8 :)) SHARP ENOUGH BUT NOT AS SMOOTH AS DESIRED. I THINK IT LIKES COTICULES MORE THAN JAPANESE STONES SO ONE MORE TEST; A FEW LAPS ON MY LES LAT AS A FINISHER AND SEE WHAT TOMORROW'S SHAVE BRINGS.


BTW  MY SWEDISH 4/8 IS FINALLY COMING AROUND AFTER INNUMERABLE 'TOUCH UPS' ON VARIOUS AND SUNDRY STONES. ACTUALLY SHAVED LIKE A WEDGE TODAY ON THE SECOND PASS, SILENT AND SMOOTH;))

No comments: