Saturday, June 23, 2012

Les Lat, La Petite blanche and 2 russians.

Decided to test out the coticules on some reliable russian blades I have. One the first one, which is a '65 blade with "bonna' on something similar on the tang I chose to just put the finishing touches on it and didn't pre dull it. I got this from Sham and it had a great edge on it for quite awhile.

I made very light slurry with another les lat bout and started doing X strokes right away. This stone cuts very fast and within TWO laps the slurry was turning grey! Didn't want to dull it too much so I did 10 total laps then diluted every 3 or X strokes washing off the blade under the faucet.

then 40 laps on water and it was showing a great keenness!

50 laps on leather ( no linen) and 20 on palm and we're good. I shaved with it first this morning and it was very sharp! SO sharp I actually caught the front of my ear ( first time) and got a nice little scratch. Got through the chin stubble no problem. Very good first pass

The next blade was my 63 russian and this I dulled first on glass. The light slurry again with a La Petite Blanche vintage combo stone. Started with half strokes and this cuts pretty well but not nearly as fast as the Les Lat. Still plenty of swarf coming up and four laps leather it was popping arm hairs so I began the dilute.Same method; rinsing the blade off instead of dropping water on the stone. Seems to work well.

Then forty for so laps on water and then the same on leather and 20  on palm

Shaved the second pass today with it and it was great too! It's good to finally be figuring these coticules out as they are so beautiful and fun to play with. Nice if they work well too.

As usual with a coti finish they are sharp but very very smooth.Next up are some more russian blades and the La Vert and I might play around with the '63 russian on la petite blanche to see if that stones advances the edge off the Les lat

I love my stones and razors!


SHAVE REPORT


TOOK THE 'BONNA' RAZOR WHICH AND DID 40 LAPS ON WATER ON THE LA PETITE BLANCHE TO SEE IF IT WOULD ADVANCE THE EDGE AND IT DID! NO PULLING AT ALL ON THE CHIN.
SO THE PETITE BLANCHE IS FINER THAN THE LES LAT,( WHICH IS PRETTY FINE) BUT THIS IS GOOD TO KNOW


ALSO DULLED AND RE DID THE EDGE ON ANOTHER RUSSIAN BLADE ON MY LA VERTE TO SEE HOW IT WOULD FARE AND IT ALSO DID GREAT.


I MADE A LIGHT SLURRY FROM THE 600 DMT AND USED X STROKES FROM THE START. NOT AS FAST A CUTTER(ESPECIALLY WITH X STROKES) BUT IT CAME AROUND PRETTY QUICKLY.


USED MY NEW DILUTION TECHNIQUE OF JUST RINSING OFF THE BLADE TIL I GOT TO WATER THEN DID 40 LAPS OF X STROKES ON WATER, THEN RIGHT TO LEATHER( 50 LAPS) AND THEN 30 ON PALM


SHAVED GREAT AND I DID THE FIRST PASS WITH THIS RAZOR AND IT HELD UP GREAT!
 SO NICE TO KNOW I CAN USE THE COTI'S CORRECTLY NOW AND WHAT A SMOOTH KEEN EDGE THEY GIVE.

No comments: