Friday, June 29, 2012

Super Puma Part 2





Wow, my friends brought me SEVEN of his best blades to hone for him and it is like Christmas in June! I have a 7/8 dorko a 7/8 Puma from 1937, a 5/8 Flaschner and four others to work on. I love it and now don't have to dull any of MY blades to get it in,lol!

I also received the Buffalo strop ( above) from SRP to replace my chewed up English Bridle strop and it's so different in feel I can hardly believe it. Now I know what "draw" is and my English Bridle has it( resistance).The Buffalo strop seems like I'm honing on glass. It certainly looks and feels beautiful  and works well. We'll see after it wears in a bit( but NOT nicked:))

SO I chose the Super Puma to start with and man it gave me fits! Last time my friend dropped these off he said they were dull and they weren't. THIS time they were REALLY dull.
So I started with the cretan hone on slurry: nothing. and I mean NOTHING.

SO I switched to the BBW on slurry; still nothing with lots of circles and half strokes.

Then I went to Nakayama 1 and soft uchi slurry STILL NOTHING!!!! ACK!
Then I realized I must have used tape, or my friend did when he hone it last. I don''t think I did
this the blog about it:
http://choosestrength.blogspot.com/2012/01/super-puma.html

Then I remembered my friend also loaned me his Naniwa 12 k Super stone, a synthetic that is supposed to be a very fast cutter. I was at my wits end so I soaked it a bit and got to it.It got right to the point and it was shaving arm hair now, no problem! About freaking time.It was also cool to get to play with this stone and it was like honing on marble or something.

Very very smooth and slick. No abrasive noises at all but it turned things around in like 30 laps of X strokes. Now what?

 I thought it might like slate,a harder stone since it was such a hard damn stell. so I pulled out my Welsh Thurigian( the stone on the right) and made slurry with the DMT and it worked! I've always known some steel likes specific stones but this was VERY evident here. Of course it could have been I just wore down some of the spine so that I was actually now sharpening the edge instead of just the bevel but either way it worked!

Did lots of circles, the refreshed and did push strokes then X strokes all with fresh slurry then did a 20 lap X stroke dilution every 5 laps.

Then onto the Chinese 12 k and some Escher slurry. YES! I said ESCHER( actually I wrote it). I bought a escher slurry stone ( blue green ) from Sham and have wanted to play with it. I made a VERY small amount of slurry and went to work on just X strokes and a immediate dilute.Then laps on water. getting keener by the second!

Then onto the Uchigumori and a full Escher slurry. Man I need to get a real sized Escher stone now. It's the last thing I need for my collection. At least I have this little chunk:))

So LOTS of X strokes on the uchi and escher slurry and then test: VERY GOOD! Hairs dying quitely, as they should. then uchi on just water and it's rocking.

Then 20 laps on English bridle, 40 on Buffalo and 30 on palm.

It better shave good tomorrow, that's all I say.

SHAVE REPORT:


VERY GOOD. NOT PERFECT BUT VERY VERY GOOD. GOING TO GIVE IT ONE MORE SET OF LAPS ON THE UCHI ON WATER AND THAT SHOULD DO IT. VERY PLEASED WITH THIS ACTUALLY. 

No comments: