Wednesday, December 12, 2012

5/8" Revisor vs Boker Edelweiss Zulu: water vs slurry finish

Today's experiment: hone a pair of new ( not vintage) 5/8" soligen blades, one a Revisor and one a Boker Edeweiss on the Zulu but with different techniques

The Revisor was done starting on light slurry for 30 X strokes. Then diluting every 10 X strokes by dipping the blade in a cup of water until I got to 60 laps. Then rinse blade and stone and finish on plain water for  another 40 laps.

The stone never developed that kind of suction action it did the first day where the blade started to stick to the stone. It actually hasn't had that great of feedback the last two days either, although the edges were the same.

With the Boker I built the same thickness of slurry and then did 50 laps with no dilute. Then  dilute every 10 laps finishing on very light slurry. But no water finish. We'll see how if there is a discernible difference tomorrow's shave and if so whether going back to water will  change it on the Boker.

I also played with the Zulu and my Japanese Santoku kitchen knife. This is a very easy blade to sharpen and I've been using my Cretan hone with slurry here to great effect. Today I built a pretty thick slurry and did circles  to hone it. Man it sharpened up FAST! Sliced through the paper like it wasn't there. Nice. I love this knife. I just remembered that I ALREADY put the Santoku on the Zulu last week. Of course I used it a bit but it STILL got sharper with today's honing. Crazy blade, crazy stone.

Between my cretan, a coticule and this stone I might never need another stone :)) The Escher is great as is the Oozuku but this is something else. Of course I'm not getting rid of anything either:))

SHAVE REPORT:

Well that was interesting,and unexpected. I forgot which blade I finished on water and which on slurry, which was good for the experiment. I started with the Revisor which was not as keen as I expected, so I thought I had finished it on slurry. Then I went to the Boker and it was very "zulu" like  so I thought that was the water finish.
Exactly the opposite!

The Revisor was good but not that silky smooth like the Boker. Have to put the Revisor back on water to see if that fixes it. It could be the blade too.

No comments: