Sunday, December 16, 2012

Got this blade to shave arm hair today, a first for me with any knife. I've seen Murray Carter do it regularly on his videos on YouTube but never came close with mine. Until today. I decided to re set the bevel here on the Chosera 800 grit. I didn't use slurry and just got to it. I didn't pre dull the blade but it was dull after a few passes of half strokes!

I thought I totally screwed this great edge up! Instead of using an angle on the half strokes I just lay the blade flat on its side, like a straight edge, like I have seen Carter do. But it wasn't shaving arm hair after that!

Oops.

But then I put it on a BBW side of my Jade coti and used slurry here. Mainly circles into half strokes and it wasn't that sharp after this either. I was still keeping the blade pretty flat on it's side during this as well.

Then I went to the cretan hone with slurry and lifted the edge like I usually do. It got pretty sharp pertty quickly. I actually let the hone dry out a bit with the slurry on it and finished like that. Didn't expect much but the paper test was insane. the three finger test too and then I tried to shave arm hair and NO PROBLEM!!!

I guess laying it flat really did re set the geometry of the bevel and then picking up the back end allowed me to finish on the edge itself. VERY COOL>

No comments: