Thursday, January 12, 2012

Super Puma

I thought my RAD was over, I have 21 great blades  AND I didn't think I liked big faced blades like this 1937  7/8" Puma, but this blade has changed my mind!
First off the thing wasn't that dull when my friend gave it to my but he said I could do what I want with it so I decided to not just touch it up but to put a brand new edge on it.

I was hoping I could get as good an edge as the one I was taking off:))


But it didn't come off easily and it took two full downward stokes on glass to get it to stop shaving hair and still it sounded crispy on my skin.

Nice steel and man that thing is hefty! Great feel and balance to it. I  touched it up on the Ozuku asagi last night on water and tested it this AM and it was awesome! One side pass and I put it down as  I knew I would get to re do it tonight.

Went with the stone combo I know works so I brought out the Nakayama and the soft uch slurry

watery slurry on Honyama
4 laps of 30 circles and test arm hair: shaving crisp already!  So I didn't press it and switched to:
more watery slurry with hard uchi
30 laps of push strokes very light pressure switching ever 5 reps.
tested: sharp!
15 more laps
sharp but not that much sharper

decided to NOT use the karasu slurry and just go to water on the Honyama
15 X strokes and test. Nice and keen
20 X strokes and test sharp but not much sharper. time to go on.
( in retrospect, since I was going onto the ozuku with water to finish I probably SHOULD have use the karasu slurry with an immediate dilution every 3 reps.- next time)

decided to add the Ozuku on water
15 X strokes and test.
crispy crazy
10 X strokes
hairs committing suicide:))
Love this blade. Can't wait to do three passes tomorrow :))

SHAVE REPORT:


lol, change of plans. I was going to just test the black russian but it was going so well I finished with it. It wasn't 100% but I decided to try a few extra laps on the la vert( 15 X strokes) and it was noticeably keener so I did another 10 and it was very nice. So I did the first two passes with that. I tested the Puma and it cleaned up the chins and tough areas no problem what a great blade and the edge was awesome as well

No comments: