Sunday, July 01, 2012

Flaschner 5/8" French point

Can't get the damn photos to sit correctly for some reason so it's vertical instead of horizontal but no  you get the idea.

This is one of the Flaschner blades I got in Hungary two years ago and gifted to the man who got me into all this straight razor madness :)) He gave it back to me to hone for him and I'd forgotten what a great blade it is; stainless steel french point and probably close to 100 years old and looks brand spanking new!

It was pretty dull when I got it so I decided to try to use just the coticules to hone it.One downstroke over glass to flatten what little was left of the edge and then I began on the stone it is sitting on in the picture, my Les Lateneuse coticule with light slurry.
Man this stone cuts fast and within two laps I had grey swarf!

Five or so sets of circles and it was shaving arm hair so I went into a dilute rinsing the blade every 5 push strokes for a total of 30 reps and then 15 laps on plain water. Responding very well and getting keener so I went to my Le Dressante Bleu on water, another very fast cutter,even on water.

Now onto X strokes and even on water it was cutting and bringing up some swarf!
30 X strokes and decided to finish on the La Verte on water as well
40 laps later and it seemed very keen.I did 20 laps on the La Petite blanche just for fun too:))                               
 40 laps on my new buffalo strop and 20 on palm and it was done.

SHAVE REPORT:
Perfect! very sharp and coticule smooth! I did use it on the second pass but it took the remaining chin stubble left from the first no problem. Nice.

No comments: