Sunday, April 01, 2012

4/8 Tonsorial gem unicot


decided to play around with the 4/8 Clauberg and see whether I could use just one hone and the unicot to get it sharp and smooth. Last I shaved with it it was ok but not perfect so I sacrificed another so so edge to the razor gods.I chose my les lateneuse  coticule as I haven't used it for anything but touching up in forever and wanted to see what it could do. It didn't dissapoint

I used a les lat hybrid bout as the slurry stone and it really created a great milky slurry very quickly. I made it the consistency of milk, not cream and started with half strokes. Man it started turning grey with swarf half way through the first lap of 30!!! After two laps I knew it would shave arm hair but I did another lap anyway. Tested great.

Watered down the slurry and did 25 X strokes on the slurry and tested as per strict unicot protocol.tested even sharper. nice when things actually do what they are supposed to.

Rinse the blade and coti(only supposed to rinse the blade) taped it and rebuilt the slurry with a very watery solution and did 30 X strokes on it. Then rinsed both blade and coticule and did  40 X strokes on water and then another 15 on the hybrid side of the les lat bout which is SERIOUSLY hard rock.

Under the scope didn't quite get the flat matte look of the secondary bevel as depicted on the site but it looked close.

Then 40 laps on linen and 50 on leather. we shall see.

SHAVE REPORT:

Sharp! very very nice edge. got almost everything on the first pass. I am, however, getting spoiled by my wedges and the silent hair cutters they are. The 4/8 shaved well but is very noisy. I love the quiet of the wedges much more. BUT the unicot worked great.

No comments: