Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Jnat one stone hone conquers the Super Gnome!


I decided to try my hardest to sharpen blade yesterday, the TI Super Gnome. I just about gave up on this bad boy in the past, only getting a shaving edge by double taping it. I used the Oozuku and the soft uchi to start and I wasn't getting the feedback I hoped for very quickly.

It took about 7 passes before it started to shave arm hair and I thought my method wasn't fool proof until I remembered that I had taped the blade with two layers and needed to undo that.

I then switched to the Botan Nuagura and continued for another 3 sets of circles and things started to come together!

I switched to the hard tomonagura uchi and then things really started to get keen .I continued with circles for 3 passes before going to push passes and then onto X strokes.

Test looked good so I switched then to the Karasu slurry( figuring it needed a little extra ) and did X strokes on that.

Then onto 50 laps of X strokes on water. Tests were perfect.! Crazy!!! this was the SUper GNome which I couldn't get to do anything before.

today it shaved perfectly, smooth as silk and basically a one pass BBS! Nice

But I also tested my No name Russian 5/8 after going back to another 40 laps on the La Verte coti to see if it improved the edge. Not that much, but perhaps a little. It shaved great for the second pass but there wasn't much to mow down,lol. I did do an against the grain pass, ( which I almost never do) and it worked great there too.

Love it.

No comments: