Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Supreme Custom Wedge

My friend who got me into this wonderful world of straight razors brought me the three blades he won on E Bay to hone. this is a present for me as I don't have to dull a perfectly good razor of my own to get more honing practice.

Two 5/8's there were two Top Flights and one less than 5/8 Wedge with a serious mishapen edge. the heel was way thicker than the toe. Morgan said if I wanted to fix it I could have it, as he knows my current infatuation with Wedges. I jumped at the chance

600 Grit slurry stone with slurry
One layer of tape on blade
spent about 45 minutes on this stone working the angles to just grind away the longer part of the heel and try to get it as even as possible. Used the CHosera nagura and it worked great/.I probably could have gone on longer and really gotten it perfect but  I was impatient. refreshed slurry and rinsed razor MANY times in this process as the swarf and slurry built up. At least 5 x. shaved arm hair weakly but the shape was pretty straight( see above)

Chosera 1 K on slurry

LOTS of circles and halfstrokes on medium slurry. about 20 + minutes here. X strokes too. Refreshed slurry 2-3 times and lots of push strokes  and long horizontal strokes as as well circles and then X strokes at the end.

Lighter slurry til the end and then 30+ X strokes on water
Bevel shiny and shaving arm hair effortlessly

BBW on slurry Nouvelle vein
circles for 5 laps( 30 reps)
push strokes as well
keener

another layer of tape onto Coti side of Nouvelle Vein
light slurry
circles here too to build the second bevels

Rinse blade not coti
30 X strokes( unicot)
Rinse coti and blade
water 50 x strokes

test = KEEN! and smooth . love then wedges

40 laps linen
50 laps leather

shave report:

AWESOME! even though the scales suck it was a pleasure to shave with this this morning. Like wiping the lather off my face instead of "shaving" and a I always love the silence of the wedges. Just wipe the lather off.

Used just this blade for the two passes although the first pass was 90 % there. love it

No comments: