Monday, April 30, 2012

Welsh Thuringian

My Welsh Thuringian arrived in the mail today and I really don't know what to think about it. It looks pretty much like slate, and at first would bring up too much slurry at all with the stone that was provided.

SO I lapped it with my DMT 325 and it got flat( came pretty much that way) pretty fast. THEN it brought up slurry pretty easily. Yesterday I had honed my 63 Black Russian on my Vintage Coticule with a dilucot and got a very nice edge, which I shaved with today( although it could be sharper) so I decided to see if the stone would improve that edge

Without dulling it I brought up a slurry and started X strokes. I did 20 laps and checked the edge under the scope and thought at first I had brought out some microchips but it wasn't, but it definitely wasn't the polished mirror of the jnat either.
Then I tested it on leg hair and the thing was sharp! So  I built a little more slurry and did another 20 laps and tested again. VERY keen. Perhaps I got a good one. I've never used a thuri like stone before so I am in new territory.( maybe I'll have a use for my Tam O Shanter slurry stone now!)
40 laps on leather and we'll see tomorrow AM

Also yesterday and honed my 4/8 Flaschner on the Nakayama 2 finishing on slurry for the first time
I've noticed that I get a great mirror polish from the slurry but when I go to water I note a decrease in polish shine.I thought the more polished the finished edge was the better but today, after my shave I'm not so sure. It seemed just a tad off and I'm not sure if that's from not finishing on water or using the Nakayama instead of the Oozuku or Uchi

So I did 15 X strokes on some hard uchi slurryon the Nakayama and then did 30 laps on water. Tests are good. tomorrow.

Going to do the same thing with the other Flaschner which I finished on slurry on the Oozuku as well. I'll re finish on water and see if there's a difference. This blade was very keen and smooth though. We'll see. I'm betting it's the Nakayama isn't as fine as the Oozuku but we'll see.

SHAVE REPORT:


disappointing. THE WT felt very much like the Chinese 12 k; sharp but way too 'crispy' for my taste and not smooth at all.It's very possible that I haven't gotten the hang of what this stone needs AND I didn't dull the edges on the test blades, just tried to improve them, which it did not.


As for the two Flaschners finishing water didn't help that much either. It could be they were just overhoned but the Flaschner edges, on the Jnats were far sharper and smoother than than the WT. Have to test the WT more today.


tonights re do


I think some of the harshness was due to me NOT dulling the blades first and trying to top off an already keen edge. There were definitely microchips in both the Russian and the Dovo which leads to a sharp but harsh edge.
SO today I dulled the edges, worked up a slurry and did circles for 5 sets or so on the Russian and then went to water for 50 X strokes



One the Dovo I just did 50 X strokes on water since I hadn't just honed it.
test tomorrow.


Shave report:


The Russian edge was perfect; sharp, smooth and quiet. The Dovo was still harsh, didn't even finish the side, have to re do with circles and then water.
Re finished the Flaschner on the Oozuku on water and that wasn't right either. Will do over with either WT or Oozuku progression.

No comments: