Thursday, May 03, 2012

Dovo update

Just shaved with the Dovo that I dulled on glass and then re honed with slurry for 4 laps of 30 circles then onto water for 50 laps with no pressure. Great shave today. no harsh edge at all and cut through the stubble with no problems. I played with a tam o shanter slurry stone I have and it made GREAT slurry on the WT whereas the WT slurry stone provided barely makes any at all. Must be enough though as it worked great.

Going to experiment with a 3 part slurry process just like the Jnat:
tam o shanter slurry
WT slurry
Plain water


This is one very hard stone. as hard as the Uchigumori or harder! It definitely benefited from a solid lapping and I even made the mistake of starting to hone on the non lapped side( it's one solid piece of stone both sides useable) and could immediately feel the difference. 


I also tested the Flaschner 4/8 that I re did on the oozuku and what a difference! Smooth as silk and sharp as could be. As much as I hate to admit it, the Nakayama 2 is just not a finisher. Good pre polisher for sure and I can use it in a multi stone progressions( nakayama with soft uchi slurry, then oozuku with tomonagura then uchigumori on water ) but not as a one stone hone.


Also did a second pass with the Ramapo that I THINK I redid on the Oozuku and man was it sharp and smooth. No tape either this time .Shaved quiet as a mouse and I like that.

No comments: