Tuesday, July 10, 2012

'69 Puma 5/8 on synthetics and Escher

Decided to stop messing about with this damn Puma and get the freakin thing sharp before I decide to finish it. I did this the easiest way I know how; with synthetic hones. My trusty Norton 4/8k got to come off the bench and play for a change.

Soaked it appropriately and then went to work on the 4k side with 25 rep push stroke laps. Not sure how many I did but at least 8. It was grudgingly cutting hairs so I did a few more and then went to the 8 k

Lapped it first so I had a bit of a slurry going and that worked well. X strokes here for20 laps then test: keener! so 20 laps more. Nice edge already. Could shave off this with a good stropping.

Then onto Morgans Shapton 12 k SuperStone, lapped first and then 20 reps of X strokes and test. Very Keen and Sharp! How easy :))
20 more X stroke laps and then onto the Welsh Thuringian and BG Escher slurry( light)
15 X strokes then a drop of water dilution. 10 more X's and then another drop. 5 more then a blade rinse, 5 more then a full rinse of blade and stone
Keener still , on the right track and this tells me this combo is DEFINITELY higher grit than 12 k as the Shapton is a known quantity.

20 laps on water on the WT finished it.

Then onto the Escher
Light( very) slurry with the BG escher slurry stone and X strokes. 15 then a dilute, 10, dilute, 5 rinse blade, 5 rinse all. test= Nice! hairs falling pretty quietly!
20 laps on water test = better
20 more laps

30 linen
40 buffalo
30 palm

datsit/

SHAVE TEST;


PERFECT PERFECT PERFECT!!!  can hardly believe it.This thing has never shaved this well for me! sharp and smooth. nothing else to say. 

No comments: