Saturday, July 28, 2012

Supreme Custom Wedge Bevel reset



This is a great vintage 4/8- 5/8 american brand wedge that Morgan gave me this year that has given me fits honing it from the start. Wedges are notoriously hard to  hone and this one proved no different. I tried various coticules, slates and j nats but I had never taken it down to the bevel as it seemed to have a decent one but it never seemed sharp enough and the finishers didn't quite do the job.

After I put it on the Escher the other day and STILL got tugging and pulling I decided to start from the ground up. I have NEVER been disappointed  when I re do blades this way. It seems the only way to really make sure they are sharp enough to benefit from a finish stone anyway.

SO:

Chosera 800 first with no slurry and then with 600 grit nagura: this took awhile to get to shaving arm hair. lots of circles, push strokes and X strokes. the slurry is a must though it seems

Cretan hone with BBW slurry: just on a whim, never tried this before and it worked GREAT! The cretan supposedly hones according to the grit of the slurry and this seems to be the case here.  more circles then push strokes then X strokes.
I was going to use the Norton 4 k but decided to test this out instead. I great medium grit natural alternative.especially with the BBW slurry.

BBW coticule on BBW slurry : same very nice
Coti side of BBW on water 40 X strokes : very keen Now! Feels like I could shave off this.
La Vienette bout on water: just 'cause it was close 20 X strokes . keener

Norton 8 k on water : just as a  grit check . 30 X strokes. definitely advanced the edge. Nice

Nakayama Asagi on slurry; back to circles then dilute to 40 laps on water

SUPER KEEN!

30 on linen
40 on Buffalo
20 on Palm

SHAVE REPORT: PERFECT!
best this blade had ever shaved me. Almost a one pass shave. no tugging, no pulling no effort and silent like a wedge should be. very happy! Just goes to show the Escher is nice but not everything :))


No comments: