Monday, July 09, 2012

My Escher is here!



My piece of honing history arrived today and I got right to playing with it. It's a yellow/green( more green than yellow) Escher ,one of THE most celebrated finishing stones. They aren't making any more of these as the mine is closed and there will be no more to be had.This is as rare as it gets.

I've never used one but I've shaved with edges that have been honed on them and they have been spectacular. These edges are supposed to be the smoothest and sharpest that can be had. We'll see but I am seriously stoked to have one and get to experiment as them.

I've a blue green Escher  slurry stone, not as fine as the yellow green one and its' already made a huge difference in the finished edge of  the few blades I've used it on.
Here's tomorrow's test blades:




Ebenholz: finished on Escher on water
Revisor 6/8" finished on Escher on water
Puma 5/8" dulled and honed on C12K with WT slurry, then Welsh Thuringian with BG escher slurry , finish on Escher on water
Russian 5/8" same as above. C12k into escher on water finish




SHAVE REPORT:


EBENHOLZ; ABOUT THE SAME STILL JUST ABOUT PERFECT :))
REVISOR: GOOD BUT NOT PERFECT. NOT SURE IF JUST THIS TOUCH UP WAS ENOUGH. MIGHT HAVE TO RE DO
5/8 PUMA NOT VERY GOOD. I REMEMBER THIS WAS A PROBLEM BLADE FOR ME BEFORE HAVE TO CHECK WHAT I DID.(http://choosestrength.blogspot.com/2012/01/58-puma-1969.html)
5/8 RUSSIAN: EXCELLENT. AS GOOD AS THIS BLADE GETS.


CONCLUSION: I STILL HAVE LOTS OF WORK TO DO TO REALLY GROK THIS STONE AND EXTRACT IT'S POTENTIAL. IT WILL BE FUN THOUGH:))

No comments: