Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Super Dorko and Kings Pride

 Let me just say that I LOVE this Super Dorko of Morgans. Love love love it.It's 7/8" square point, full how ground MONSTER that feels perfect in my hand , takes an edge easily and shaves like a dream.

This one was not that dull when I got it so yesterday I just touched it up on some coticules on water. First up was my Deep Rock Vintage coticule which I appreciate more and more every day. I do think there is something unique about these old rocks; what, I don't know but they are very consistent and very good.

I used just water and did 49 X strokes. I could tell the blade liked the stone. It tested very well so then I went to my other vintage Coticule, my La Petite Blanche.
Also on water. I could tell it worked well here as well

Another 40 X strokes.

Shave today was very good. very smooth and sharp.
So of course I wanted to see if I could get more from the edge so I took out Morgan's Nakayama and built a very light slurry here.

30 X strokes and tested. Duller. Ok. Started a dilute and things started to get keener again.

I kept diluting until water and then 40 X strokes on pure water. Test are very good.

30 laps on linen
40 on english bridle
20 on palm
 Hair dying quietly.

Nice

It's all about finding out which stone does what to which blade.

Next up Kings Pride  a big 13/16 German blade that does not sit well on any hone and is, well, a bitch to sharpen. Warped or uneven blades always are but this one is just barely.I touched it up yesterday as well on the nakayama and the oozuku and got a very decent shaveable edge so tonight the experiment was coticule with LATHER on it rather than slurry or just water!

Used light proraso lather on my Deep Rock coti and started with X strokes. Didn't add enough water so I had to lighten it up into a dilute. tests were ok. Then finish with plain water on the coti and the same 30 linen, 40 leather  20 palm

leg hair tests were very very good

we shall see :))


SHAVE REPORT;


TWO HOME RUNS! THE DORKO WAS THAT MUCH BETTER AFTER IT'S TURN ON THE NAKAYAMA. MUCH LESS 'NOISE' AS I SHAVED TODAY COMPARED TO YESTERDAY AND THAT MUCH SMOOTHER. JUST ABOUT A ONE PASS SHAVE.


THEN THE KINGS PRIDE WHICH I FINISHED ON THE DEEP ROCK COTI WITH LATHER DILUTE WAS SIGNIFICANTLY SHARPER AND SMOOTHER THAN BEFORE. STILL HAD SOME ROUGH CHIN PASSES THAT IT CRUISED OVER. NICE TO KNOW THEY BOTH WORK


NOW TO PUT THEM BACK INTO PERFECT SHAPE TO RETURN.

No comments: