Thursday, May 10, 2012

Cretan/WT hone combo






Decided to play with the Cretan hone AND Welsh thuringian on my 61 Russian. I realized that if the Cretan acts like a  JNAt than I probably can use all my nagura'son it to created different levels of grit and then finish on the cretan itself on water as it's such a hard stone.
But today I wanted to use my DMT 600 for tomonagura slurry on the Cretan as well as the WT and see what kind of edge it gets

so dull the blade on glass

bring up Cretan slurry on the hone and do 3 sets of 30 circles
had to refresh the slurry and the water at least three times, this is one thirsty stone! ACK!  I forgot I'm supposed to soak it before I used it; next time.
 tests are sharp. nice.

then onto the WT with DMT made slurry. Thick too.
30 reps of push strokes and slurry got thick very fast too. Refreshed and watered it. Had me worried it would dull it as the slurry got very thick so fast but it was keener.

washed all off and did 40 laps of X strokes on water. Had a 'suctiony' feel right from the start! crazy different from the first times I used it and I think all the honing and lapping is polishing the stone into a much different, smoother one.

tests were great
35 on linen
50 on leather

Revisor strop= 65 laps. tests great. day four


SHAVE REPORT:
AWESOME! ON BOTH BLADES . THE REVISOR WAS JUST AS KEEN AS DAY ONE AND THE STROP EXPERIMENT SEEMS TO BE WORKING WELL. THE 61 RUSSIAN WAS ALSO PERFECT AND I SEEM TO BE FIGURING OUT THE CRETAN AND THE WELSH THURINGIAN HONE.




THE COMBO WORKED GREAT, FAST AND FUN TO USE AS WELL AND I THINK AS I USE BOTH HONES THEY ARE GETTING BETTER AS THE TOP LAYER IS GETTING LAPPED AND THE REAL HONE IS COMING OUT.


BOTH WORKED GREAT WITH THE DMT SLURRY AS WELL.


WANT TO EXPERIMENT WITH THE JNAT NAGURAS ON THE CRETAN HONE AS WELL.

No comments: