Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Does it advance the edge?



That's what I asked myself as I decided my strategy for re honing my Vintage Flaschner Dovo. Instead of trying to use as few hones as possible I would try the Sham approach of smaller jumps between hones, with the idea that if the stone didn't advance the edge it would easier to go back and correct it than if one took very big jumps between hone grits.

I've never tried it before but 1) it's one way to use more of the too many hones I have, and 2) it will get me much more detailed info on the hones grit and place in the progressions afterwards.

Plus, there is the category differences of coticules, japanese naturals ( hones as well as naguras) and german hones. SO many toys to play with :))

Dull the Dovo on glass twice

BBW on slurry ( used slate side of bout; first time, not sure if it was a good idea)
this took longer than I expected but got to shaving arm hair in minutes.
I also thought about starting with the Cretan. One thing I am learning is that certain blades like certain stones more than others, Of that there is no doubt.

So BBW is about 1-3k grit

Nouvelle Vein coticule on light slurry
circles: definitely advanced the edge so perhaps 4-6K grit

8k Norton synthetic 25 X strokes

Threw this is there as a definitive marker. I KNOW this is 8k
definitely advanced the edge.

Les Latenuese coticule/ water
20 X strokes. the blade didn't like this coti OR I because I went right to water it didn't give the surface a chance to "warm up" . This advanced the 8K so it's at least 9-10K with water
Either way I went to

La Petite Blanche/water
30 X strokes
Now this the blade liked, right from the start on water with no bout used first.I REALLY love this coticule more every day. One of the one's I grab out of the house if I could only have a few.This definitely advanced the edge so I assume its 10-12K.

Oozuku on tomonagura slurry
circles and push strokes. one refresh of slurry

Oozuku on water
20 X strokes keeps getting keener

Oozuku bout /water
20 X strokes ( very small surface but great hard stone)

Uchigumori on water
50 X strokes
WAY advanced the edge. Without a doubt my finest finishing stone. The first stone I would grab going out of the house. This stone can do it all!

35 linen
50 leather
25 palm

then Russian 63 re do on Nakayama Asagi
NO dulling first

tomonagura slurry circles, 2 refreshes
hard uchi slurry circles then X strokes
water for X strokes,40 x strokes

totally different feel this time on water after warming up the stone with slurry work first. Definitely had a much better feel and connection between the hone and the stone.

MUCH keener tests, and the blade looks sandblasted under the microscope. we'll see tomorrow.

SHAVE REPORT

THE DOVO WAS GREAT! THE PROGRESSION WORKED BEAUTIFULLY AND THE BLADE WAS SHARP AND SMOOTH.EXCELLENT INFO ON THE GRITS AND PLACE IN THE PROGRESSIONS OF ALL THOSE HONES. HAVE TO PLAY WITH THIS IDEA MORE WITH OTHER HONES TOO.

BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW IT PROGRESSES WITH MORE STROPPING.

THE RUSSIAN WAS SHARP BUT IS JUST NOT A GOOD SHAVER FOR ME I HAVE TO CONCLUDE. TO THE BACK OF THE PILE:))



No comments: