Saturday, May 05, 2012

Welsh Thuringian and Oozuku Tomonagura

Got my little Oozuku tomonagura slurry stone yesterday and it's a beauty.
Not too small either and i could definitely hone on it, no problem It's hard as ,well, a rock,lol, and quite a different color from my other Oozuku( no surprise there). I wanted to see if this was a good finisher as well as a good slurry stone so I did 30 X strokes on water with my newest Russian blade which already had a keen edge but had not been stropped. I will shave with it this morning and see the effect.

It passed leg hair tests very well.

I also re honed my 5/8 Sheffield wedge on the WT, using a DMT 600 plate to raise the slurry for the last part before water as the slurry stone provided did not bring up any appreciable slurry it's so hard!

SO I used the Tam o Shanter slurry stone for the first part( brought up tons of great slurry for the circles. then went to the DMT for the push strokes and X strokes then went to water for 50 laps of X strokes.

Since I'm pretty sure I taped the sheffield last time it took extra time to reset the bevel so I could hone the edge and not just the bevel but I think it worked. We'll see in just a bit. No strop either ,want to see what the finished edge off the WT is.

Finally hones another 5/8 russian( this is what I bought them for- practice) on the Oozuku asagi with the normal progression ( soft uchi, hard uchi, water) and didn't strop either to feel that edge this morning.

Should be interesting!

SHAVE REPORT:


EPIC FAIL! LOL on all counts. The wedge was no where near sharp enough  although when I put it through 50 laps on leather strop it shaved very well( on the second pass) very strange. The Russian on the WT with no strop was not good either. The Bridge russian that I topped off on the new Oouku and no strop was decent but not great.it was better just off the oozuku by itself


The experiment was a success, I just got different results than I expected.  Back to work


SHAVE REPORT 2:


Wow, what a difference the strop made on the wedge! Crazy. From a non shaver to a very very close easy shave. Hard to believe, actually but there it is. One layer of tape would make it perfect but I think it's good enough right now. I actually think using the DMT for slurry was a mistake on the WT but we'll see
 The bridge Russian was also stropped and performed very well although I think it was overhoned on the Oozuku


The 63 Russian was good too after the stropping but needs a do over on another hone.Good experiments though.

No comments: