Sunday, May 20, 2012

Translucent Arkansas

A new addition to my hone collection: a translucent Arkansas stone. It's a tiny one but one of the sharpest razors I have ever shaved with was finished on one of these and when I saw this at the price I wanted I jumped. Not sure exactly how to use it yet so I am practicing.

I dulled this 63 Russian and reset things on my trusty Cretan stone

first with tomonagura slurry( it's finally making slurry !)
sets of circles, 3-4 laps shaving arm hair already! this thing is fast!
30 reps in push strokes refresh slurry
40 X strokes on water

then the Arkansas
50 X strokes on water : seems VERY sharp
35 on linen
50 on leather
25 on palm

Tomorrow!

SHAVE REPORT
NOT GOOD. NOT SHARP OR SMOOTH ENOUGH. IT WILL SHAVE BUT CONSIDERABLE RESISTANCE. THE BLADE ITSELF ISN'T THE BEST EITHER BUT I DON'T THINK THAT'S IT. WILL PUT IT ON A FINISHER LATER TODAY.


Finisher report:


The Nakayam asagi on water did NOT work. Better than before but not good enough. Not sure if I should waste any more time on this blade, something's not right, but I will try one more thing: an Oouku progression and see how that works.

No comments: