Tuesday, January 17, 2012

5/8" Puma 1969

I forgotten to hone this last of morgan's seven day set a very nice 5/8" Puma which has  69 on the tang( I'm assuming it's from 1969?1869?) I tested it last night and it was popping arm hairs left and right so I did nothing with it and just shaved with it this morning.
Very strange as it acted sharp but shaved poorly. LOTS of tugging and pulling so I put it away and honed it today.It got the Nakayama Treatment.This works EVERYTIME.  Love it. it's my go to protocol when I want a razor shave ready fast.

Just wish I could get the other stones to work as well

Dulled blade on glass
soft uchi slurry, lots of it
5 sets of 30 circles and test; not yet refreshed three times!( its' thirsty)
4 sets of 30 half strokes; shaves arm hair
- it seems that the blade doesnt lay very flat it must have a warp of a bit because the circles weren't getting great full edge contact when that's my go to move for full contact. Half strokes and pushes with two hands on the blade to maintain toe as well as heel contact

hard uchi slurry
7 sets of 5 push strokes no dilute shaving leg hair well

karasu slurry , dilute to water, first every 5 laps then every 3 until 10 laps on
30 x strokes very keen
15 more on water only

Oozuku stone
15 laps on water.less keen on the hair


Nakayama stone
10 x strokes on water. Keenness back

30 laps on leather test good
20 laps more test better

done! we'll see tomorrow.

SHAVE REPORT:


This was much better but for some reason I just don't like this blade. It shaves well enough but it has a strange feel. It pretty much got everything on the first pass with no tugging or pulling,even the chin but it's not as smooth as I would like.Perhaps it will like a few laps on a coticule. One more try,


One the other hand the second pass with my brown russian was amazing. Still holding that incredible edge with just  15 X strokes on the La Vert( funny has that has turned into one of my favorites:)) and it was crazy good.

No comments: