Sunday, February 05, 2012

My TI Super Gnome is the devil!

I'm really starting to hate this blade. I pulled out No Stone Unturned today to get this thing shave ready,even taped it, and it still gave me fits! I think I got it but what a pain in the ass

ok:

dull blade on glass


Nakyama #1/ soft uchi slurry
one layer tape

3 sets of 30 circles: nothing
2 more sets of 30 : barely cutting hair
2 more sets: kinda

hard uchi slurry
30 reps push strokes in sets of 5
test: ehh
20 more reps in sets of 5
kinda

Karasu Slurry/ dilute
15 X strokes,dilute every five and test, not horrible but even close to what I want
20 push stokes dilute every five and test ; so so

on water alone
20 X strokes better but still nothing great WHAT???

Oozuku on water
25 push strokes
a bit better but definitely cutting uneven. Lay blade flat on hone. Toe is a bit off - NOW I get it the damn thing is warped! Nice for 200 bucks! so much for TI  reputation. My $20 Russian is better blade.

Chinese 12K / take tape off!
30 reps in sets of 5
crispy! what ?
20 more reps
better!

Uchigumori on water
30 X strokes
crispy cutting leg hair

40 on linen
50 on leather
test: sharp but too crispy

Vintage combo coticule
25 X strokes
test: now we're talking! jesus that took forever
25 on leather
we'll see tomorrow.


Shave report:


well it did take forever but it was worth it! finally finally an edge that is not only ok but great! Sharp and smooth, I could tell from the first downstroke it was right. NO pulling, dragging or complaining at ALL! Even over the chin the hairs just came right off, just as they are supposed to
I don't know if this really makes any difference but yesterday I was using Proraso SOAP, today Musgo real Cream. I don't think I've ever had a great shave with the proraso soap. Who knows, but this edge was great.


DId the left side with my touched up 6/8" Revisor white handle and it too was stellar although I don't remember what the protocol was! It was damn near perfect too. Just two passes and I could have gotten by with one! No touch up with DE either.
NICE!


also: all the stropping really made a difference too, especially for the Revisor. as  I now recall :))


Second shave with the Gnome




Held up VERY well although it did lose a little bit of smoothness, surprising, really. But I started with it , went to the Flaschner family tree blade and had to go back and finish with it as the Flaschner wasn't up to par.( it hasn't been honed or used in months). The TI did a great job relatively.  It's just a weird blade



No comments: