Thursday, February 09, 2012

The Red Violin of Razors

Morgan, who owns this blade, says this might be the Red Violin of razors. After honing it , and shaving with it twice I think I have to agree. There is something mythical about this almost 200 year old blade. When I started shaving this morning I thought I had made a mistake, as it wasn't quite as keen as yesterday despite 30 laps on leather this morning and a near perfect, soundless, effortless shave yesterday.

But then I realized I was shaving with it as if it were a 5/8 or 6/8 hollow ground blade and not the Wedge that it is. As soon as I lay the blade perfectly flat against my skin instead of at a slight angle the magic came back!

Soundless, effortless gliding hair mowing! Crazy Easy.

I did three passes although I barely needed two just because I wanted to play with it more:))

Morgan's not getting it back for awhile and hopefully I can find a Wade and Butcher Wedge on Ebay that I can afford. Have to have one of these in my collection although I think this Masonic blade IS the Red Violin of razors and there can be only ONE.

Shave report

the Cmon little guy did great, nice and keen and smooth. but I hate the floppy pins so I was worried about it shifting around, so just one half pass.
Masonic:
finally starting to not be perfect for the third shave. Still PLENTY keen but just not quite that effortless feel. Will touch it up with the La Veinette on water this afternoon and see if that brings it back up to perfect.

No comments: