Sunday, February 12, 2012

Two Masonics

One fake, one real. I hate to say it but I got "took" really good on ebay a few weeks back and bought a Pakistani replica of a real masonic wedge. It wasn't the sellers fault, I just didn't read carefully enough. He said it was  new blade and in my enthusiasm didn''t make the connection. It looked right.

And I tried to hone it but never got anywhere.I have been on the verge of throwing it out but never got around to it.

Today I decided to NOT leave the 1k DMT until it was SHARP and shaved arm hair or THEN throw it out.I even decided to start on the 325 to set the bevel given that it seemed there really was none even though it looked like one under the scope.

SO half strokes and long horizontal strokes on the 325 and the swarf was building fast! lots of metal shavings all over the place and after five passes or so it started to seem a bit sharp on Carter's three finger test. OK now we're getting some where. A few more passes perhaps and onto the  DMT 1200.

Same thing here, half strokes, circles and horizontal strokes  checking every few laps, determined to stay here until the bevel was set!

kept cleaning off the dmt and blade and going back to it. kept getting sharper so I kept going. After a lot of laps it shaved arm hair well and I thought I could move onto the norton 4k. Lapped it flat and went at it.

Horizontal two hand strokes for lots of laps of 10 and the metal was still coming off fast. SO I kept on. Switched over the X strokes and continued. Washing the stone off frequently.
Still getting sharper and leg hairs are popping well so onto the 8 k

Just X strokes here and hardly any metal coming off. A very good sign 20 laps and onto the Chinese 12 k. Just moving up the grit ladder I am :))

20 X strokes on water and test. 

definitely acting like a razor now on leg hair! Nice

Onto the Deep Rock Vintage coticule and 20 X strokes on water. Very keen on leg hairs! Wow,I'm impressed with myself. the bevel is polishing up very well and I can see it with the naked eye as very straight and even.

Now onto the Jnats

Oozuku on water: 20 X strokes here and leg hairs are lying down fast

Finish on Uchigumori on water 15 X strokes and done!

40 laps linen
60 laps leather.

I am actually going to try to shave with this tomorrow. Perhaps I pulled the fat out of the fire and really learned  how to hone on this cheap blade :))

No comments: