Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Flaschner 5/8" Family Tree blade


To be honed later today. This blade is over 100 years old with ivory scales and a stainless steel blade that hasn't needed to be on the hone since I got it in August 2011, just stropping! Now it needs a touch up! COuld be my favorite shaver.

LATER:

The edge was "OK" so I didn't want to dull it, just see if I could enhance it.It was shaving alright but pulling and tugging just a bit. I want a hot knife through butter:))

SO:
LIGHT slurry on my vintage coticule, which seems almost like my Les latenuese stone.has similar insertions in the second layer. Very light yellow and creamy but an extremely fast cutter, on slurry and a fast polisher on water. AND the back side is a belgian blue whetstone so it's a two fer!
What a great deal that turned out to be :))

15 X strokes on the slurry and it's fine. Rinse the blade but not the stone and 10 X strokes: better

10 X strokes on water. Even better.

onto My Nakayama #2 on Hard uchi slurry( hardly ANY slurry but that's ok)
30 push strokes  in sets of five.
Keener. Liking this trend:))

rinse onto pure water
15 X strokes ,even better. It sounds right now.


Oozuku on water
15 X strokes

very nice

30 laps linen
45 laps leather.

NEXT! A true Masonic Wade and Butcher Wedge!!!!  Almost  TWO HUNDRED YEARS OLD!
Mason kicked down again and I have more than enough razors to hone to keep me happy and busy for the next week,lol!

I have a feeling a Wade and Butcher Chopper is in my future just from the beginnings of honing this antique.

Belgian Blue side of Nouvelle Vein coticule

For some reason my instinct said to start this meat chopper on something that can handle a knife, the BBW. Built creamy slurry and did 30 rep sets of half strokes. 4 sets and it was cutting arm hair already!

This edge is crazy under the scope and looked to have THREE BEVELS!  No shit! Never seen that before.

Onto the Nouvelle vein side with light la veinette slurry
30 reps on push strokes on 5 rep sets
Keener! Crazy easy to hone it seems
Onto water on La Veinette bout 
15 X strokes ( this bout is crazy, cuts fast even on water!!)


Keener still. mowing arm hair easily!!!


30 laps linen
45 laps leather.


til the morning! Onto the C Mon!


honed the c mon 4/8 as well 
quickly, used the


vintage 6x2 coticule on light slurry with  push strokes; cut very quickly then


nakayama #2 on hard ichi slurry with half strokes  shaved arm hair quickly


then nakayama 2 on water


then C12k on water( wow,this works very fast on water, crispy already!)


then Oosuku asagi on water with 30 X strokes


then 30 laps linen
         50 laps leather. will  see :))


Shave Report:


THE BEST SHAVE OF MY LIFE WITH THE MASONIC BLADE! LITERALLY EFFORTLESS ONE PASS SHAVE. IT WAS LIKE I WAS SHAVING AN ALREADY SHAVED FACE WITH A BUTTER KNIFE AND JUST WIPING THE LATHER OFF. FREAKIN' CRAAZY!! AND SO EASY TO SHARPEN TOO.
NOW I HAVE TO GET ONE OF THESE WEDGES!!!


THE FLASCHNER WAS EQUALLY AS SHARP AND SMOOTH JUST NOT AS SILENT AND THE C MON WAS PERFECT TOO. JUST A SHORT SWIPE WITH IT BUT I CAN TELL. UNREAL.









No comments: