Saturday, February 04, 2012

Uchi rules

 Started out todays shave with the Thiers Issard "Super Gnome" which while although pretty keen was not up to my new improving standards for my edges.It cut but required way too much pressure to do so. I want the thing to slide and glide.
 Plus I can't remember how I honed it before anyway( hence this blog) so I put it back and decided to redo the edge later.

I finished with my 6/8" Revisor, which, true to form was silent and deadly. great shave and another big success for the Nakayama 3 slurry stone progression.
But I figured I could put that too on the Uchigumori and see what happens.which is what I did:))

First the TI.

DMT 1200 Slurry on my Nakayama #1 which was a mistake. I think it scratched the hone so I put it down immediately and got a hard uchi slurry stone to lap it a bit and clean it up. Lesson learned, no more Diamond nagura for my natural stones.

Instead I used the  Oozuku Asagi stone as a nagura and make a very very light slurry which I immediately diluted.
 5,4,3,2,1 push strokes diluting every set  then washed the stone and
10 X strokes on water
very keen already, unusual for this hard to hone razor.

Onto the Oozuku and  light slurry from hard uchi stone again ,very light into immediate dilute. I did NOT dull the TI first so I didn't need as much cutting
 again- 5 4 3 2 push strokes with dilution every set
wash stone
15 X strokes on water
tested very nice so 
10 more X strokes on water


onto Uchigumori stone on water
15 X strokes
crispy sharp! nice


25 laps on linen
45 laps on leather.


hairs doing what they are supposed to so we'll see tomorrow. Just love that I can replicate the process now almost every time 


and it seems that the uchi is so fine that it really takes the finished edge to a whole nother level. every time so far, too.


Shave Report:


well, not this time. I am starting to hate this dam TI. My most expensive blade by far and probably my worst shaver and the hardest to hone, by far. Which is it's reputation but WTH? If I recall correctly I taped the edge the last time which seemed to do the trick. I'll do it again but today's shave was so- so at best and it really wasn't sharp enough to do the job on the chin, plus it irritated the skin a lot.
This tells me that the initial edge wasn't sharp enough so I'll dull it, and do my three stone progression on the Nakayama 1 and see how that goes.
I mean it shaved ok but not what I want. And I'll tape the edge as well.

No comments: