Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A nightmare and a dream



Haven't been posting much as this last week has been seriously busy with Kb stuff. Still not dug out but had a moment to get some honing in yesterday and what a nightmare it turned out to be! I wanted to put my edge on my new Ramapo near wedge as it was starting to tug and pull a bit so I dulled it on glass and used the same protocol as I did with the Masonic.

NOTHING! Couldn't even get it to shave arm hair! Then I looked under the scope only to find TONS of micropchips all along the edge! WTF?!

So I breadknifed it more and started in on the DMT 600 . nothing. then the King 1000 still nothing! even gried the Norton 4 k and still not an arm hair.

Then I realized the spine on the blade is seriously uneven as the first third has that notch in it making it not even on the hone.Emailed the Lee from a Sharper Razor who originally honed it and he said he had to hone it free style to get it to work because of the spine. Freakin' great!

I thought this was going to be easy not a nightmare. I put it away for now. Don't need more frustration right now.It's just one blade anyway. I will probably have to tape the front third only and see. Or call Sham

But the Ralf Aust is still shaving like a dream, one week later with only the strop! Guess my stropping technique is coming up. Nice. This blade is really smooth and easy. DId the first pass with the Moscow '55 blade( which needs a touch up) and the second with Ralf.  Lots of work to do this weekend

No comments: