Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tonsorial Gem indeed.

It seems that the steel makes all the difference. That and the flatness of the blade. I got this off ebay for $12 after really loving the edges and the shave off another Clauberg Tonsorial Gem in 6/8"
Nice to have an American blade (even thought it's made in Germany, it's an American Company),I thought this was 5/8" but it seems smaller, perhaps from honing use or was just a 4/8.

No matter, when I got it I thought I was screwed. The scales were so tight I could barely open it and the bottom of the scales barely let the hollow ground edge pass through. It was square though but it takes some concentration not to bang the edge when closing it.

Again ,$12.

But when I looked at the edge under the scope I thought I was really in for some work. Their were many chips, lots of dead, old skin. some strange discolorations and general nastiness. I didn't think I would have to do a restore on this as I didn't on the other Clauberg and I have still another Clauberg tonsorial gem coming soon too.

RAD is back.

Anyway I breadknifed the edge on the side of my King 1K and got a bunch out. then I went to work with half strokes on the King.
Didn't count strokes but I did horizontal half strokes and checked the edge every few laps. probably sets of 30 or 30 seconds :))

Amazingly, the edge started taking shape right away! The ramapo should only have been this easy. So I did more circles, some more half strokes and finished with 30 X strokes.

It shaved arm hair no problem. total time 10 minutes

So I decided to experiment

BBW ( backside of nouvelle vein) with BBW slurry ( from la veinette.)
pretty thick slurry
sets of 30 push strokes 3 laps
 shaves nice and looks polished under scope! crazy fast.What a difference good steel and solid geometry makes.:))

keen, :)) onto vintage coticule combo
light slurry with la veinette
push strokes 30 reps in sets of 5

test= sharp! wow faster and betta' basically trying use a tomonagura even for the coticules. How else can I tell what the grit level is if I make the slurry out of a lower grit nagura? seems to make sense.

I really really really love this coti! It is so smooth AND fast on slurry or water. Plus, it is the perfect size 6" x2" Just right for long X strokes.I'm not sure what it's name is but it sure rocks the razors.

then onto La Veinette on water for 30 X strokes.

popping hairs so well :))

then onto  Nakayama 2 with Nakayama 1 slurry. Why not? they're about the same grit so it's a tomonagura.I want to hone on the base stone not the nagura.

30 reps push strokes in sets of 5. Nice slurry and NO dilute.

test= better. on the right track. Next.

Oozuku on water
30 X strokes. this stone works better for me as a pre final polisher on water than any slurry

Uchigumori on water
30 X strokes here too

35 laps linen
50 laps leather.

we'll see tomorrow but the indicators are GOOD.

SHAVE REPORT


WOW, THIS THING SHAVED AS GOOD AS IT HONED! FANTASTIC. HAD THE RAMAPO OUT JUST IN CASE BUT DIDN'T NEED IT. GREAT FIRST PASS AND THE SECOND ONE FINISHED IT UP.


I MUST BE GETTING BETTER AT HONING AND SHAVING AS I HARDLY EVERY HAVE TO 'CLEAN UP' WITH THE DE THESE DAYS. NICE. THIS BLADE IS SO SO LIGHT BUT MAN IT SHAVES GREAT. 


No comments: