Friday, March 02, 2012

A Tonsorial Gem shave day

Decided to play with both the gems today and see how the edges held up. WOW> that little guy is turning out to be one of my BETTER shavers. Crazy. the edge was just as sharp, crisp and smooth as the other day. I oiled up the sticky hinge and it opens and closes much better although I still need to get it rescaled some day as the old scales are just not right and I have to be very careful as to how I close it.

Way too tight a fit at the end and I'd hate to ruin an edge closing the damn thing :))

It was almost a one pass shave, that's crazy! But I brought out it's big brother for the second pass and it too was just as keen as before. I had a feeling about these German/American blades and I was right. Stellar
SHAVE REPORT


Well too much of a good thing is too much. I over honed the 6/8" yesterday OR it just doesn't like the Jnats as well as it's smaller brother. I put it on a very very light slurry on my Les Lat  for 20 X strokes and then onto the oozuku on water and the uchi on water , all for 15 x strokes each.

Started with it this morning and I could tell from the first stroke it wasn't right. A bit of pulling and left a lot of stubble on the chin. Switched over to the 4/8 Clauberg and it cleaned things right up for the first pass.



wanted to see if it was the coti the 6/8 liked so I pulled out the Deep Rock coticule on which I originally honed it and did 30 x strokes on water and did the second pass


Much better but not perfect so I know what I will be doing this afternoon:)). There seems to be one stone for every blade. Just have to remember not to mess around too much once I find it.

Still did third pass cleanup with the DE to get things right. Also, I used the proraso soap  and I NEVER have gotten a great shave when I use this so perhaps that figures in as well. Got a great lather but no go.



Will dull it on glass and start over with all coti's.


Edit


just re read my honing report and it seems the 6/8 likes the La Verte best. will finish with that today.

No comments: