Tuesday, March 13, 2012

1936 Le Grelot



A real one. These things are hard to come by and my friend has one and wanted me to play with edge a bit. He said it was dull but it seemed pretty crispy to me on arm hair so I didn't reset the bevel I just touched it up a bit on the jnats last night going

nakayama 1 on light slury 30 X strokes
oozuku on very light slurry tomonagura with dmt 30 x strokes
uchigunoroi on water 30 x strokes
35 laps linen
50 laps leather

passed the hair test well but when I shaved with it this morning it wasn't quite right.I asked my friend if it had been stropped with crX and he said it had. this practice is said to make a more convex bevel which, after time, has to be reset and made wider. I thought this was the case and  decided to reset  the bevel this afternoon

so

King 1 k with dmt slurry
LOTS of half strokes , circles, x strokes in progression. didn't count just kept going til it shaved leg hair easily

then

BBW with tomo slurry
7 laps of 30 rep circles

it keeps surprising me how well the BBW works as a cutter! with no dilute in the slurry as well. Nice.way better in the low grit ranges than the coti.

Deep Rock Coticule with light slurry into dilute
4 sets of 5 push strokes on light slurry then dilute every three reps for5 passes . nearly water by now. rinse everything
 20 X strokes on water

Vintage coti on water
20 X strokes ( my one from greece/ bbw combo)

chinese 12 k on water
20 X strokes ( always makes things keener at whatever sharpness. I love this rock- I got a good one)

La Verte on water
30 X strokes

Les Lateneuse on water
25 X strokes ( lapped it first)

35 linen
50 leather

we'll see !

SHAVE REPORT:


This went great! Got MY edge on it and I loved it. very smooth and keen and did the whole face for a change on the first pass with a single blade so I could test all the areas of the edge .Very nice although it is still not one of my favorite shavers and I can't say why. strange.







No comments: