Thursday, March 08, 2012

RAD continues. Vintage New England 5/8 Wedge and 5/8 Tonsorial Gem

I couldn't resist. The top photo is my new 5/8 " Clauberg Tonsorial gem making it my third.They hone and shave so well for $25 I couldn't say no. The scales look to be bone or perhaps ivory. Seated well and the hinge works great; stuff I don't take for granted anymore. A loose sloppy hinge can ruin the whole experience.

The bottom razor is another 5/8" Vintage New England  near wedge blade with English steel. Both are late 1800's and early 1900's. I love owning and using real tools from history.The wedge came basically shave ready and I stropped it 35 times on linen and 50 times on leather, we'll see tomorrow but I can see it has a solid bevel

The Clauberg I'm not so sure about. I think I will have to reset the bevel as it wouldn't shave arm hair when I got it and my honing attempts went ok but I don't think will stick without a new bevel. we'll see tomorrow

todays protocol; on the clauberg

30 reps laps of circles on nouvell vein bbw side with slurry. at least 7 laps and shaved arm hair  barely
 20 rep laps on coticule side with light slurry, not much better.
20 x strokes on water or coti side ( not a fit)
 30 X strokes on La Veinette on water - actually keener
30 x strokes on la verte /better still
30 x strokes on oozuku on water still improving
30 x strokes on uchigumori on water


passing all the tests but I'm not convinced
40 on linen
60 on leather

tomorrow!


SHAVE REPORT:


As expected the Clauberg was so so, a decent shave but nowhere near as crisp as I wanted and when it left chin stubble I put it up and will reset the bevel on the King 1k later today.


HOWEVER the new England near wedge shaved like a dream! Like a real wedge, too, silent and smooth. This is the best shave ready blade I have ever gotten off the bay.I could tell from the beautiful bevel it came with that it was ready. bravo!




No comments: