Tuesday, March 20, 2012

6/8" Wacker near wedge

I honed this bad boy before and got so so results. My friend has just about given up on this blade as he can't get it to where he wants it as far as the edge. I told him I would take another stab at it.It is one beautiful razor, though and feels great in the hand, with jimps on the bottom of the tang, which I love and a heft to it that makes it feel secure in the hand.

When I got it it seems to cut arm hair well and I am waiting on a new Chosera 800 so I didn't reset the bevel and start from scratch but decided to strop it and see if it was as dull as my friend says.

50 laps on leather and it was killing arm hairs silently ( it IS a wedge after all, or near wedge). This morning's shave started out great but after the first half of the face the stropping 'wore' off and it started pulling. I suspect the bevel needs resetting but I decided to play with a bit  today before.

I have to wait for the Chosera anyway.

I learned my lesson from the Ramapo and the Super Gnome and went to two layers of tape from the get. Smart move.I"m over any issues with taping. It seems to work WAY better for some blade and I have to remember, the shave edge is the key, not how I get there.

So: dull on glass, two downstrokes, two layers electrical tape

BBW Nouvelle vein bout /Tam O Shanter slurry ( playing around)

5 laps of 30 circles.
shaving arm hair effortlessly. good start
20 X strokes on new slurry. sharper

Nouvelle Vein Coticule with tomo slurry ( watery)
3 sets of 30 circles: test better
5 sets of 3 X strokes and dilute every 3: test keener still

last time I honed this on Jnats and NO tape. I think it likes this way better.

Nouvelle Vein on water
30 X strokes

La Verte on water
30 X strokes

30 laps linen
50 laps leather

hair tests are perfect. we'll see tomorrow.

SHAVE REPORT:


Perfect. I had another wedge out just in case this was a flop but it shaved almost one pass on the first and then finished up with it as well. No problems at all and performed just as it should, even around the mustache which is always the tell for me; if it pulls and tugs there it isn't ready. Guess it needed two layers of tape and some Belgian coticule love. Had the coti feel too, super smooth.


I'm over my taping issues,love the Tape! 





No comments: