Thursday, March 29, 2012

Revising the Revisor


Pulled my favorite 6/8 Revisor out of the kit at the last minute this morning and had no idea where the edge would be as I haven't shaved with it in months. But it is perhaps my favorite of the Revisors as it has jimps on both the top and the bottom of the tang and I love that.

Otherwise it's just a perfect revisor with such great feel and balance in the hand. and the blade is always excellent. This is a vintage blade as well which always seems to be better for me.
I stropped it on leather 50 times before the shave but it was disappointing. Not really sharp enough so I knew that just polishing it wouldn't be of much use.

Back to either the 1 k or BBW, I choose BBW
so:

BBW Nouvelle vein on slurry
circles for 5 laps then
push strokes and X strokes
test= not as sharp as I wanted so back to
bbw slurry
only circles for 3 laps
test= sharp.

Nakayama 2 with slurry for
circles in sets of 30 or so, 5 laps
3 dilutions to water then
50 laps of x strokes on water
test= decent

40 laps linen
50 laps leather

polish edged looks great but we'll see in the AM I got this idea in my head of just two stones: a cutter and a polisher. We'll see> Also my turkish oilstone, also know as a Cretan hone from the Isle of Crete in Greece is on it's way! these are very hard to get stones and my friend Emmanuel from
ArtisanShaving.org  gave sent it to me and other members of the forum as a gift! He is making the facade of his home in Crete from this rock! Crazy. he is living encased in a shaving hone!
It is mid grit stone( cutter) but does not leave a sawtooth pattern on the edge, like the coticule and is one smooth cutter.

Next up just a polish up for the Wacker on the Oozuku


Shave Report:


So so, not bad but definitely not sharp enough. Got most on the first pass but wouldn't really finish the job on the second. Had to use the DE to finish.Didn't get to the Wacker. Will reset the bevel on the Revisor this afternoon. Seemed to have lost my honing mojo a bit lately :((

No comments: