Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My first Flaschner re hone


The first blades of my collection were bought in a tiny shop in downtown Budapest, run by Kalman Flaschner, son and grandson of two of the best razor makers in Europe. The shop has been there since 1865 and I had no idea what I was looking at or I would have bought 3 x times the number of blades I did.

When I bought them I asked if they needed honing and he said( through translation) no, all they needed was the strop and that's all any of them ( four) have had since August last year. The edges shaved great and the bevels, while narrow ,were straight as an arrow.

But when I shaved with the 5/8" one withe the Soligen handle this morning it was not up to par and I knew I had to get it back on the hone. The questions was, just a touch up or re set the bevel?

Resetting Flaschners bevel almost felt like touching up a Picasso when it got a bit dusty but that's too big a leap. This is a tool, not a painting and it wasn't working well so I had to fix it. That's what it was made for, to shave. Not to be admired for it's beauty and craftmanship.

Plus I love this new Chosera 800 and wanted to use it again:)) It works so well and so fast, so:

Chosera 800 with slurry for
half strokes 5 or 6 laps
circles with less slurry 3 laps
x strokes on water no slurry

shaving arm hair like a champ and the bevel has been widened; still straight and clean and almost a mirror sheen! crazy for a low grit stone like this but there it is.

BBW on Nouvelle Vein coti( it's been working so far, why stop now?)
slurry , 5 laps of circles
5 laps of X strokes
keener
 Vintage Coticule with light slurry


haven't used this in a while so here goes
25 laps of X strokes dilute after 15 one drop every 5 reps.
20 laps on water

Les Latenuese on water
30 laps of X strokes

haven't used this in awhile either .

Uchigumori on water
30 laps of X strokes

35 linen
50 leather.

really used the microscope on this blade,which I haven't for quite awhile. I wanted to really make sure the edge was getting polished more on each stone and the scratches from the previous stone were erased.


Also re done my 4/8" Clauberg


just wasn't there this morning so it got a makeover as well

chosera 800 on slurry( polished new bevel very fast!)

BBW on vintage coti slurry ( above)
 I don't like this as much as the nouvelle vein, first time trying it. slurry seemed lighter and it didn't seem to cut as well
 Light slurry on Vintage coti side, with dilute after 10 laps
25 laps


not impressive but ok


onto Nakayama 2 Jnat on slurry
 5 laps of 30 circles


back to keener


finish on ughigumori on water.


35 linen
50 leather


we'll see

No comments: