Monday, March 26, 2012

1953 Russian Bevel Re set



Wanted to to see if I could JUST use the BBW coti to take an edge from dull to shave so I dulled my 53 5/8 Russian and went to work
To my great surprise not only didn't it shave arm hair at all off the BBW but it didn't seem like it was going to sharpen at all!

SO since I've gotten my new Chosera 800 I thought it was a good time to reset the bevel on this blad and see how that affects the whole deal


So: dull on glass, two downstrokes

Chosera 800 with chosera 600 nagura slurry
lots of circles and half strokes: this is not happening fast hereeither. the bevel really needed some work, lots of swarf coming off.
rinse slurry and continue on water. for more circles and half strokes then X strokes: shaving arm hair easily. Next step.

Nakayama #1 on slurry
more circles in sets of 30 reps no dilute. at least 5 sets: keener for sure

Oozuku with VERY light slurry ( two passes with tomonagura)
lots of X strokes  into dilute much Keener!

Uchigumori on water
30 laps of X strokes

hair tests are perfect!

35 laps linen
50 laps leather.

Shave report: PERFECT!! Shaved like a champ! Smooth and sharp. Seems this guy like the Jnats more than the coticule. Just have to remember it. AND resetting the bevel on the Chosera was the right choice. Love that stone.

No comments: