Friday, March 23, 2012

Wade and Butcher 6/8 Wedge pre 1900

What a score this blade was. I got it for 105  and was the only bidder. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, a pre 1900 W/B chopper( close enough size wise) with jimps( very rare I hear) on both sides of the tang and a smile. Nice!
Plus a nice barber notch as well. It's been rescaled with some very nice wood and the scales and pins work perfectly.

It was advertised as shave ready and it would shave arm hair when I got it but it had tons of microchips on the edge too telling me it had been honed on synthetics

One downstroke on the side of the King 1 K and they were gone

I double taped the spine and went to work on the bevel. I knew my Chosera 800 was coming in today but couldn't wait. The King worked perfectly

King 1 k with slurry.
half strokes and circles, perhaps 4 laps and tested:
shaving arm hair already!!1 crazy. Did 3 or more halfstroke laps and circles and went right to the

BBW Nouvelle Vein( just like I did on the Masonic) and it responded the same way.Built a strong slurry and circles and half strokes and it got very keen very fast! I love Sheffield steel!
4 sets of circles and it was onto the coti

 Deep rock Vintage coticule on light slurry to dilute
4 sets of push strokes with no dilute then one drop every 3 X strokes. 10 laps

Seriously shave ready! Instead of overdoing it I stopped there just to see what would it would be like to shave off this.


30laps linen
50 laps leather

Shave report:



Good but not great. Definitely shaveable but not the silky smooth keenness I want so today:


Nakayama #1 with slurry
30 push strokes in sets of 5
dilute every 3 x strokes to water
30 on water


Uchigumori on water


30 X strokes on water

30 linen
40 leather


we shall see tomorrow!
SHAVE REPORT:


Perfect! the Jnats did their normally awesome job of polishing and finishing and it looks like I picked the right ones. The Uchigumori has yet to fail to be my best finishing stone. I did a second pass with my Family tree flaschner but really didn't need it.  Most excellent.!

No comments: