Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wacker touch up

The damn thing wouldn't get out of my mind so I decided to try to fix it now.Since it basically wasn''t sharp enough I decided to go back to the nakayama with slurry and sharpen it more before moving on. I did NOT re dull it but wanted to see what happened from there.

reading up on honing wedges it seems that because the spine is so thick many use electrical tape to change the angle of the blade on the hone and put more pressure on the edge. I think I wasn't paying enough attention to what the edge was moving around on the hone and I think that's why it "looked" right under the microscope but didn't get quite sharp enough.

This time instead of circles I did push strokes then X strokes paying complete attention to making sure the slurry got distributed along the entire length of the blade; for every stroke. I could see early that it wasn't easy to do and I probably rushed it a lot this morning missing a lot of contact with the blade/stone.

soft uchi slurry on nakayama
sets of 5 rep push strokes for 35 reps
test leg hair;getting better refresh slurry and continue
4 sets of 5 rep push strokes on slurry. really easy to miss toe part. concentrate!

test is getting better
new slurry with hard uchi
25 X strokes and check. sharper
15 more X strokes and check best yet

switch to karasu( as I did on my best result with the brown russian)
5-1 reverse pyramid X strokes  then 1-3 uphill ladder
start dilution every 3 reps
then every 2 reps wash blade
2 more strokes
wash stone
10 more X strokes
check leg hair
very crisp


Oozuku on water
15 x strokes test very keen
20 laps on leather

we'll see tomorrow :))


SHAVE REPORT:


EXCELLENT! SHARP SMOOTH AND EASY SHAVE. THE SWITCH TO REALLY WATCHING THE EDGE UNDERCUT THE SLURRY I THINK MADE ALL THE DIFFERENCE.FIRST PASS WAS ALMOST ALL I NEEDED


TESTED THE BROWN RUSSIAN WHICH STARTED ALL OF THIS AND IT STILL HELD A PERFECT EDGE! NO STOPPING AT ALL SINCE LAST SHAVE AND IT WAS JUST AS GOOD OR BETTER THAN THE WACKER. NICE.

No comments: