Tuesday, January 10, 2012

C Mon Blackie/ Ozuku Asagi

Next up is the C Mon Blackie what looks like a 7/8" blade and a blackened tang. I really like this blade and can't wait to shave with it tomorrow morning, despite it's large size.It just feels good in the hand; very well balanced.

I was going to just repeat the Nakayama hone as I know I can get that to work now but decided to try the Ozuku asagi and see if I can get the same results with it.

Dull on glass one downstroke

build slurry with soft uchigumori stone. Slurry comes up very quickly and there is  a lot  of it.

5 laps of 30 circles and test arm hair. Is actually shaving! last time it took 10 laps on the ozuku but I decide to do one more set of 30 and test. crispy sound and shaving/popping hairs already. Amazing!

Now onto hard uchigumori slurry and push strokes and dilution every 5 laps. Did 25 laps and tested. Less sharp. looked back on records to see on the second stone I didn't dilute and did 45 laps. build back up slurry and do ten more laps.
Sharper. ten more laps then onto Karasu and THEN dilute. look first.

decided instead to use a dmt 600 and use that as the nagura using the Ozuku slurry to see. Built a milky medium slurry and then went to dilute every 5 X strokes. 15 laps and less sharp.

Wash off everything and go to water laps.
15 X strokes on water and things are popping again. weird.

so it's:
soft stone slurry no dilute/refresh as needed til arm hair shaves easy.
hard stone slurry no dilute/ refresh as need til sharper
karasu into immediate dilute or just to water
30 laps linen
50 laps leather

will see tomorrow.

Shave test : Home run!!! Perfect. Amazingly sharp and smooth. Had to put it down after one pass so I can give it back to my friend in this condition. Crazy good.

No comments: