Monday, January 23, 2012

Nakayama Honyama 2 and Oozuku progression

got my beautiful new Nakayama Honyama from Takeshi at Aframes Tokyo in record time so I knew what I was playing with this afternoon. Wasn't at all pleased with the edges from the single slurry dilute on the Uchi yesterday so I decided to go back to what I know works with the Jnats and go from there

3 slurry stone progression on Nakayama Honyama 5/8 Sham Russian
soft uchi slurry
3 laps of 30 circles; shaves arm hair already! a fast cutter for sure
1 lap of 20 to be sure test good but I could have stopped at 3

hard uchi slurry
30 sets of 5 push strokes
very crispy
10 X strokes
5 push strokes light pressure

cutting leg hair perfectly

karasu slurry to dilute
sets of 5 X strokes with one finger drop of water
30 X strokes
20 X strokes on pure water

40 laps on leather everything's good but I'm not sure I got it perfectly sharp at stage one. we'll see

Oozuku Asagi and Dovo Ebenholz 5/8

soft uchi slurry
3 laps NOT cutting arm hair( this is definitely a slower cutter)
4 more laps shaving well now

hard uchi slurry
30 push strokes in sets of  5
test just ok (I'm not sure the oozuku is a one stone hone. at least not with this method)
15 more push strokes

karasu slurry to dilute
25 X strokes diluting one drop  every 5 reps
not impressive
15 more X strokes to plain water
30 X strokes on water test

eh...

30 laps linen
MUCH better
40 laps leather
even better still

we'll see tomorrow.

SHAVE REPORT:


ONE FOR THREE. THE DOVO SHAVED GREAT, THE SHAM AND THE RUSSIAN WERE WAY OFF. THE SHAM SHAVED PRETTY SHARP BUT PULLED TOO MUCH AND WAS NOT SMOOTH AT ALL. I REMEMBER TAPING THIS BLADE TO GET IT TO WORK LAST TIME AS THE SPINE IS VERY WORN DOWN.WE'LL SEE LATER TODAY
NICE TO SEE I CAN GET A GREAT EDGE OFF THE OOZUKU BY ITSELF THOUGH.THE STROP REALLY MADE THE DIFFERENCE BUT I DON'T THINK THE OOZUKU IS A STAND ALONE STONE FOR ME THOUGH. MORE OF A FINISHER.

No comments: