Monday, January 09, 2012

King's Pride Razor

A very generous( and trusting) friend of mine lent me one of his seven day sets to hone for him and what a gift that is! No having to dull my own razors to practice. PLUS he has one incredible collection.

First up, a  60 year old 6/8" Kings Pride that he says is his best shaver.

it was shaving leg hair but very rough
dulled on glass

5 laps of 30 circles on Nakayama Honyama with Uchiguori slurry.
Shave arm hair crisp like on the brown russian! amazing!

Next up, hard uchi slurry

light slurry and 45 push strokes. test leg hair. sharp. 15 more. sharper. now onto karasu slurry but an immediate dilute down to water ,unlike first time where I stayed on slurry too long and it didn't really get sharper.

medium slurry and 30 X strokes, check leg hair and it's crisp! 15 more X strokes and done. 20 minutes.

Check the edge under the scope and it's almost obscenely perfect! Amazing. This better shave good tomorrow but I know it will!

SHAVE REPORT:


Perfect! I had planned on only testing shaving this bad boy but it was so smooth I did the whole first pass with it. and I could have stopped there. Nice shaver. A bit large for my face but what a great edge!
Second pass with the black russian and it was good but could have used more stropping which I didn't do :))

Great fun!

No comments: