Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Dilucote on la Verte

Decided to punish myself some more and not only retry the dilucote on a coti but on my super hard and slow La Vert. I watched Jarrod honing videos last night and got inspired to hone'free form', as you will, going by feel and watching the edge and slurry lines more than the stroke count

dulled my 63 black russin( ack it had such a nice edge!) and went to work on hard les lat slurry (probably a mistake), just 'pushing the slurry around' and it was going good til it stopped and I went to far and it stopped shaving arm hair

so I went back to a creamy bout slurry and rebuilt the bevel with more half strokes and circles, keeping my left hand on the tip of the blade to maximize contact. lots of swarf created, much more than ever before on the la verte and I was encouraged.
kind shaved arm hair and I went to dilution and it kept getting better and keener, then onto pure water and x strokes and it went backwards again!

ack! barely shaved leg hair.

I was going to start all over again with a softer slurry bout but then decided to just try finishing it on the Nakayama on water

I KNOW everyone says you don't use the jnats on water but it's an experiment.

30 X strokes on water and it was popping leg hairs unbelievably!

So, like a pig I did 20 more and it went backwards :((

30 laps on linen- back to better leg hair pops

40 laps on leather- definitley keener, 20 laps more. we'll see tomorrow.

That Nakayama Honyama is special though. No doubt.

No comments: