Sunday, January 15, 2012

Honing Sunday

Wow I got a lot done this morning. First up was a touch up on  morgan's Dorko 7/8 big blade. Didn''t need much at all, just did 30 x strokes on the Oozuku on water and it was popping hairs like crazy. 30 laps on leather and I'll shave with it again in a bit.

Now came the 'project', the 6/8 Wacker Wedge. I've heard about how hard wedges are to hone so I was a bit trepidatious so I brought out the big guns, the Jnats. I've also realized that my bargain priced Nakayama Honyama is a pre finisher at best( no wonder it cuts so well) as it is pretty soft given how easily and quickly it absorbs water. good to know

Wacker 6/8 wedge
 Started off on the Nakayama building the slurry with my Chu Nagura( which I haven't used before). Did  four laps of 30 circles  and tested arm hair.Not really working so I switched to the soft uchigumori for another four laps of  30 circles and tested. shaved arm hair well . washed the stone and rebuilt the slurry

30 reps in sets of five push strokes, not really improved shaving arm.

rather than go even further backwards( I'm finally learning :)) I switched to the hard uchigumori slurry  and did 25  X strokes with an improvement in arm hair cutting . Did another 25 X strokes, lighter slurry. not much better than before.

went to 15 x strokes on water and things start happening. I guess I can overdo slurry on the jnats just as easily as on the coticules. popping leg hair easily. nice

onto the Oozuku asagi on just water. 30 X strokes on water. great cutting 30 laps on leather and that's it. will shave test in a bit

Red Russian Re Do

wanted to test out my multi coticule approach so I dulled the Red Russian 5//8
 Started out with my Deep Rock Vintage coticule. built slurry with similar coticule bout( has same side line colorations) makes slurry very easy. Regular milk consistency.

2 laps of 30 circles and slurry started turning grey. nice! kept going, tested arm hair after four laps, not cutting but getting the crispy sound that says it's getting sharper.refresh with new milky slurry and do another 2 laps and re tested. cutting leg hair easily so onto

La Dressante and thin slurry ( same bout)

30 push strokes in sets of  5 push strokes. refreshed slurry once as it dried up after about 15 strokes.cutting hair better so I push it and do another 10 reps with mainly water.not much improvement( of course)


so I go on to La Veinette and water
45 X strokes on la veinette brought it right back up. did another 15 and it improved still. NICE!

6 laps on leather and will test in a bit.

Haven't done much honing on my coticule bouts lately and it as nice to see how well the dressante and veinette works. as well as my multi cot progression. Fun! again have to remember to NOT use too much slurry or go too far with any one progression.

SHAVE TEST:

FIRST UP THE RED RUSSIAN.VERY GOOD BUT NOT QUITE AS SHARP AS WANTED. VERY SMOOTH BUT I WANT MORE FROM A FIRST PASS. I PULLED OUT THE LA VERT AND DID 30 X STROKES ON WATER. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I NEVER REALLY "GOT" THE LA VERY BUT I DO NOW: A VERY HARD STONE THAT IS A GREAT FINISHER BUT ALSO BRINGS UP THE EDGE VERY QUICKLY ON WATER.

WACKER WEDGE
GOOD BUT NOT GREAT EITHER. 30 X STROKES HERE AS WELL ON LA VERT AND BROUGHT THE EDGE UP CONSIDERABLY AS WELL. SURPRISING THAT THE LA VERT WORKED JUST AS WELL OFF A JNAT EDGE AS IT DID ANOTHER COTICULE.

DORKO 7/8"


FINISHED WITH THIS AND IT'S A BEAUT. NICE AND CRISPY EDGE BUT SMOOTH TOO.


GOING TO WORK ON THE WEDGE A BIT MORE AND RETEST TOMORROW.




No comments: