Sunday, January 22, 2012

Playing with the Uchi

Did a lot of playing with my new uchigumori stone this weekend

first up my Dovo Forestal which was very sharp:
I just did a test hone with my Dovo Forestal starting with a Chu Nagura slurry first instead of the soft uchigumori and it did not cut anywhere near as fast. The uchi got to shaving arm hair in three sets of 30 circles and with the Chu Nagura it took ten and it still wasn't as sharp. I then went onto a slurry of the uchigumori itself using a 1200 DMT as nagura instead of the hard uchi slurry stone I used previous.

Again slower than with the hard uchi slurry. I actually stopped at this point, re dulled the blade and went back to the original protocol. And again with the soft uchi I got arm hair shaving in three sets of 30 circles, then onto the hard uchi slurry with 35 push strokes and it was keen. A karasu slurry ( very light, can barely see it but it makes the stone slick, almost slimy ) and X strokes diluting every 5 reps then 4 then 3 then 15 X strokes on pure water.

The same result, popping leg hairs perfectly.

I don't know if the water actually works as well, I seem to lose the slick feel of the stone that I get with even light slurry. will shave with it tomorrow.


SHAVE REPORT:
 It went very well, sharp and pretty smooth but just to see I did 30 push strokes on the Oozuku Asagi on water and re tested and it was perfectly smooth AND sharp. Nice to see. No stropping. That might have helped as well. I think the it's better to finish on a light slurry with the Uchi and then go to the Oozuku or a hard coticule on water to finish. As noted above I seem to loose the slide with just water on the Uchi


Boker Edelweis


This already had a Uchi edge which I tested softening with my La Verte. 30 push strokes on water and this was smooth and sharp as well. Nice to know also that I can mix the coticule and the Jnat together in one hone session and it will compliment each other


vintage 5/8 puma


ah yes, the problem child. redid this completely with my Jnat 3 stone protocol on the uchi and finished on water on the uchi and it shaved like a dream today! Just the one sideburn pass but I could tell the problem was solved. Nice.


Now, what to hone next ?:))

No comments: