Friday, January 20, 2012

Uchigumori is here.

My Uchigumori stone is here and it's a beauty! I was worried about this as it's used primarily as a polisher for samurai swords and I didn't know if I paid too much for a stone that I wouldn't get much use from. So I decided to put it right to the test today and promptly dulled my Boker Edeweiss( with an already keen edge :(() and used the same protocol as I did on my Nakayama Honyama stone;

I shouldn't have worried; this thing is better than all of them and seriously fast!

dull blade on glass


First up Stage One

Soft uchi slurry ( made lots easily)
4 laps of 30 circles and test arm hair. shaves already!


onto stage two: hard uchi( basically tomo nagura: the same stone!)
30 push strokes in sets of five test hair cutting very easily but I can tell it could use some more
15 more push strokes and test; way better, MAN this stone is fast!

Stage three karasu slurry dilute


15 X strokes diluting one drop every 5, then 4, then 3, the 2 sets of 2 and test:


sharp but almost too noisy and crisp


onto water
30 X strokes and test, very keen
15 more X strokes and test popping easily


60 laps on leather. smoother.


will see if this will actually benefit from a coticule finisher. shave test tomorrow.!


either way I got a great stone!


SHAVE REPORT


I DID GET A GREAT STONE! THIS THING WORKED LIKE A CHAMP.SHAVED WITH THE BOKER EDELWEISS 5/8" AND IT WAS EASY. CRISP AND SMOOTH EDGE. ALMOST A ONE PASS SHAVE.NOT TOO SHARP AS  I WAS WORRIED ABOUT. ANOTHER WINNER!

No comments: