Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Another try at the 5/8 Puma

Spoke with the owner and he confirmed that this 5/8 Puma has been a weird duck for him as well. I suspect that one side the grind is thicker than the other just by how it lays on the stone but I wanted to get it really as ready as I could before I gave it back to him and yesterday's effort wasn't enough.

I want it both sharper and smoother so I went back to the coticule. I choose my La veinette bout and started with a light slurry. I started diluting almost immediately( after 4 X stroke) and kept diluting one finger drop every 3 laps. 4 dilutions and  12 laps later I tested.

one side much keener but the right side wasn't even 'cutting' hairs at the toe in some place while others were keener too. I went to full water and  did more work on the right side and that didn't help much.


needed more 'square footage' than my bout was giving me so I switched to my Les latenuese rectangle( love this stone).

Started with a very light slurry ( les lat as well) and went immediately to a fast dilution to water in very few laps. did some extra circles at the toe on the right side only. working

8 x strokes on water only. enough

tested both side good. :))

5 rep downhill ladder of push strokes on my little les lat hybrid bout which is a GREAT finisher on water. Just wish I had a chunk of this full size.

then a 4 rep up hill push stroke ladder on the hybrid side on water as well. tested

popping arm hairs on both sides. nice

35 laps on leather.

shave test tomorrow. I guess it just might work out to combine jnats and coti's in the same honing session. especially on water.  Love my stones.

No comments: