Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New York 6/8 touchup, Revisor thumb notch 3 coticule progression

Decided to play a little tonight. First I touched up my pretty sharp tonsorial gem New York 6/8 ( not 5/8 as  I have been writing) spike point. I am getting very comfortable with all the blade sizes and shapes now and the spike point or the square point doesn't scare me anymore.

One, I'm honing so much that my fine motor skills with the blades is getting much better, two I have  over 200 plus shaves in now. that helps.three, I am learning my beard and my face.

SO first  the touch up:
taped the blade and did 30 X strokes on the Les latenuese bout  on water. Rocking and popping arm hair. leg hair suicide. Just what I like. I am amazed at this blade I got for $15 on ebay. it's a great shaver.

I am also happy I got over my unicot prejudice.  the edge is AWESOME! IN the shave kit for tomorrow. Just a few strokes will show me.

30 laps on linen
40 laps on leather.

Next Revisor 6/8  with the Thumb Notch. This blade is almost too nice to use! I hold it in too high esteem and forget it is just a tool and is made to be used. not looked at. So I dulled the ( mediocre) edge ( I know it's my edge but it's an old one; and I"ve grown as a honer :))

Start
Deep Rock Belgian Coticule with thick slurry with the same coloration bout ( pink lines/ yellow coti)
2 sets of 30  circles and it's already getting metal shavings. This is a REALLY fast cutter. Same color as my Nouvelle Vein bout.
Refresh slurry  and do two more sets of 30  circles. Left side was shaving arm hair well but right edge wasn't so I refreshed the slurry again and ended up with 6 total sets varying between X strokes and push strokes, trying to make better contact with the hone on that side.

That seemed to work, cutting right side arm hair fine

Les Latenuese coticule and raised milky slurry with tononagura bout ( les lat)
(THIS IS A DIFFERENT ORDER THAN THE ORDER I USED BEFORE THAT WORKED SO WELL. BEFORE I USED THE LA VERTE FIRST AND THEN THE LES LAT, AS A FINISHER. THAT WILL TURN OUT TO BE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN RESULT)


30 reps in sets of 5  very light pressure, seems keener on the arm but with the sweet coticule smoothness, I know it's not true but it seems I can't cut myself with a coti edge( somewhat the same with the Jnat but not as much.I have MUCH more latitude that with the synthetics.

La Verte with DMT slurry
10 sets of 3 X strokes, diluting every 3 reps, then 10 sets of X strokes on plain water. One side is still not right.
30 push strokes on water on the la Verte. Still not enough.


Onto the Les Lat on water


3 push strokes on water and it's keen. So the Les Lat IS a finer stone than the La Verte. This proves it for me. ( at least my stones).
30 laps linen
40 laps leather


poppin' :))




So what did I learn?


The pink yellow coti's I have are great cutters, starters, next up is the La Verte with DMT 600 slurry THEN the Les Lat. Just like with the JNats, the slurry fineness order makes a difference. And  1200 DMT slurry just makes a grey mess and doesn't bring out the harder stone particles and I don't know why.


The 600 works fine for tomonagura. weird.We'll see tomorrow but I think this progression gives the same sharpness/ smoothness as the unicot. One stone or three? does it make a difference? How do I want to play today? One stone and three bouts or threes stones? Only the final edge matters,really :))


Shave Report:


pretty much all three very good. The Brown russian 5/8 that I honed on Nakayama weeks ago has held up. very sharp smooth AND QUIET.  The 6/8 New York that I touched up on the Les Lat was PERFECT! The tape really worked. Perhaps I need tape on the thicker spined Revisor as it was sharp enough but very NOISY. and not as smooth as I wanted so:


20 push strokes on the Oozuku on water then 15 slow X strokes on same. THERE'S the quiet smoothness I wanted. Crazy.What a difference! Definitely a finer stone


so the order could be:
vintage coti thick slurry
la verte milky slurry
les lat light slurry to dilute
jnat on water as finisher.


will re dull and try that today.
 BUT overall very pleased with all blades and edges.

No comments: