Friday, January 27, 2012

One stone hone, the coticule version


I think I figured it out. 

Got my $15 'Tonsorial Gem" 6/8 Ebay razor today ( Clausberg, New York probably 1930's or so) and the blade looked great but wouldn't shave arm hair.
I've had two successes with my Jnat three slurry stone progression and I wanting to try it on a coticule but wasn't sure this was the razor to start with.
The bevel under the scope was uneven with lots of misdirected scratches so I thought about the 1k king and the4 kg norton but wanted to try it with my one stone hone project

worked great! very happy with the results. now that I understand which level of slurry produces approximately what grit level I can plan accordingly, as to what effect I am trying to achieve.

I decided to swith slurry stones here as well going from the softer one to the harder les lat but used  dilution for the last progression

Belgian Deep rock vintage stone
heavy slurry
3 laps of 30 slow circles, shaving arm hair already
slurry got dark quickly
refresh with totally new slurry
2 laps of 30 slow circles
shaving better( refreshing the slurry at the bevel setting level seems to be important in this technique.Don't want the slurry to get too thick or will dull faster it seems.
5 total laps of 30: 150 reps

Les lat light slurry ( 3-4 swipes)
30 push strokes in sets of 5
testing sharper already

Water
15 X strokes
30 push strokes in sets of 5

Testing very well but want to finish it more on the hybrid side of the les lat bout with water
 Hybrid Les lat
30 push strokes in sets of 5
Ok so I broke from the one stone hone but it's still a coti.

KEEN

35 laps linen
45 laps leather.

Nice:)) We'll see tomorrow but I am VERY pleased that this method seems to transfer from the jnats to the cotis! 


SHAVE REPORT

Good but not great. certainly shave ready and got the sides and neck verywell on the first pass but the  goatee/chin area proved tough. I touched up with 40 laps on water with the La Vert and the second pass was better but not perfect.
Even cleaning up with the safety razor on that area proved tough so maybe it's just a hard stubble day :))

going to go back to light slurry on the la vert and dilute and see if I can get it sharper.

redo report
3 push strokes on La Verte misty slurry made with DMT 1200 so it's la vert slurry. much cripsier
then,5 dilutes with one finger drop every 3 laps, 15 reps.
then 30 push strokes on water. seems much sharper but will see tomorrow. no strop




No comments: